The very popular Hyundai Accent Sport has been updated for Australia, with the launch of the MY2018 adding more features and tidied up styling.
Hyundai seems to be selling the Accent Sport like hotcakes, so far this year (August VFACTS) gathering up class honours in terms of sales. It more than beats the class rivals. It slaughters them. In the first eight months of the year Hyundai has sold 11,675 of the things, well ahead of its next-best rival, the Mazda2, which stands on 8334 sales.
The strange part is the Accent Sport is one of the oldest models in the company’s showroom, features the previous design language and a pretty basic cabin. That’s where the MY18 comes in to try and refresh things up a bit.
For the design there’s a bold new grille, new headlight bezels and an updated colour palette. This includes a mesh-style upper front grille with dark chrome trimmings, with a separate grille lower down. Paint colours now consist of Chalk White, Lake Silver, Blue Lagoon and Pulse Red.
Not much has changed inside, with the old dash design carrying over with a small 5.0-inch touch-screen. The fact that it has a touch-screen at all for this price bracket is quite nifty we suppose. It’s Bluetooth compatible with Apple CarPlay, playing music through a four-speaker stereo.
Propulsion comes from a 1.6-litre four-cylinder generating 103kW and 167Nm, with consumption stamped at 6.3L/100km on the combined cycle for the manual and 6.6L/100km for the the auto (both six-speed).
Prices are unchanged for the update, and both the manual and auto are presented with capped-price servicing for five years. The service plan caps pricing as follows: 15km/12 months at $245, 30km/24 months at $245, 45km/36 months at $245, 60km/48 months at $345, and 60km/75 months at $245. See below for starting prices (excluding on-roads) and key standard features:
MY2018 Hyundai Accent Sport 6pd manual – $15,490
MY2018 Hyundai Accent Sport 6pd auto – $17,490
(Available in sedan and hatch, same prices)
- 6 airbags (driver and front passenger), driver and front passenger side (thorax), full length side curtains
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC) including:
- Traction Control System (TCS)
- Anti-lock Braking System (ABS)
- Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (EBD)
- Brake Assist System (BAS)
- Vehicle Stability Management (VSM)
- 16-inch alloy wheels with 195/50R16 tyres
- Cruise control with steering wheel-mounted controls
- 5” touchscreen audio system with Apple CarPlay compatibility
- AUX/USB audio input with digital iPod compatibility
- Bluetooth connectivity (handsfree phone and audio streaming)
- Steering wheel-mounted audio controls
- Power windows front and rear (with driver’s one-touch auto up/down)
- Height-adjustable driver’s seat
- One-touch turn signal operation (3 flashes)
- Trip computer
- Cloth interior
- Manual air conditioning